Ads 468x60px

Rechercher dans ce blog

Translate

lundi 15 avril 2013

Coconut Pancakes



-->

Coconut Pancakes




I’m so excited to share this recipe with you! I have a penchant for pancake recipes that call for seasonal ingredients (proof: pumpkin pancakes), so I couldn’t wait to try this recipe for coconut pancakes by À La Graham. While I used fresh coconut water for these pancakes, I have found that they are just as good with canned coconut milk, so you can make them all year long!

As anticipated, coconut pancakes are positively delectable: light, fluffy and moist with a delicate hint of coconut. They are perfect with fresh fruit, like pomegranate and kiwi, on a lazy winter weekend.

Please scroll down for the full recipe!


Notes on coconuts

Did you know that coconuts are in season in December and January? Since coconuts are easy to come by this time of year, I used fresh coconut water for this recipe. Keep in mind that you can also use canned coconut milk, which is available year-round!

At the grocery store, I selected a heavy coconut that sloshed around when I shook it. I opened the coconut using rather rudimentary means at home. I cleaned a Phillips screwdriver and hammered (yes, hammered) the screwdriver into the eye of the fruit. I poured the coconut milk into a measuring cup. Conveniently, the coconut milk measured exactly one cup, which is what I needed for the recipe. Success!

Later on, I cracked open the coconut by banging it on concrete. I found other techniques for cracking open a coconut, like this one that requires a butcher knife. I didn’t want to risk losing a hand (how would I eat my pancakes without a hand?) so I took the easier route. Just bang the coconut on the ground, monkey style.

Lastly, Tonya’s recipe called for sweetened coconut flakes, but I genuinely prefer the taste ofunsweetened coconut. It’s light and refreshing, without the cloying artificial taste and sticky texture of sweetened coconut. I found unsweetened coconut at a local gourmet food store. Trust me, it’s worth an extra trip!









Whole Wheat Coconut Pancakes Recipe 




Recipe type: Breakfast
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 2
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup fresh coconut water from a mature coconut, or 1 cup light coconut milk, which is available, canned, in the Asian section of grocery or health food stores
1 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
1 egg
Instructions
Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl.
Whisk together the liquid ingredients (coconut milk, oil and egg) in another bowl.
Combine until just mixed.
Make the coconut pancakes as you would any other pancake. Enjoy!
Notes

Adapted from À La Graham.


Serves 2 hungry people (makes about eight 4-inch wide pancakes).


Suggested toppings: I suggest using a light syrup, like real maple syrup or a bit of agave nectar. A spoonful of fruit compote would be lovely as well. I used regular honey, but it overpowered the coconut flavor. If you have extra coconut milk, try Tonya’s suggestion and mix it with honey in a one-to-one ratio to make coconut honey. Sprinkle extra coconut flakes and top with fresh fruit for a stunning presentation.



How do you feel about coconut pancakes? Hungry? I’m craving another batch right now!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire